Why did you begin MyOctopus?
We began MyOctopus after our CEO Larry had a few problems with his smart thermostat. A little research showed many limitations with smart-home devices: connectivity, lack of flexibility in configuration, server failures and data privacy / transparency, to name a few. These issues caused us to look at the problems from a much wider perspective. We decided to create a device that could solve these problems and be future proof: a multi-tool approach flexible enough to adapt, evolve with the home, and be capable of solving issues we can’t imagine yet.
“I wanted to build a physical platform that will allow others to build on it, extending the flexibility of software design thinking to the maker world of hardware.” (Larry Wawro)
What does MyOctopus do?
MyOctopus does everything for your smarthome – it will make your home truly smart, connected and responsive, without compromising your data or privacy.
– It will increase the controllability and monitoring capacity of appliance and devices in the home network, learn your patterns and routines, and save you time and money.
– The device is packed with onboard sensors, CPU and a self-learning AI. it is able to connect to virtually any device, and to record and store data from ‘dumb’ devices.
– The open-source platform allows you to download apps, create apps, build MyOctopus on your own hardware, and see and control everything that happens to your data.
– All computation and storage happen on-device.
– MyOctopus is the most fully featured, flexible, ‘human’ smart-home solution on the market.
No home exists without a community around it, and in today’s increasingly connected world, community is online as well as local. MyOctopus is building an open-source smart home community to bridge the gap between makers / coders and less technical people; with data security and privacy concerns mounting, online communities are how we can all learn from each other and be wiser and safer in todays ‘always online’ world.
What’s been your biggest challenge so far?
Not enough hours in the day!
Our biggest challenge so far is really the sheer amount of work that needs to be done! We are a core team of 3, with about 5 people helping on a voluntary basis. We need more people!
What’s your goal for demoing at DublinBeta?
Dublin Beta is an excellent opportunity to showcase our device to the vibrant Dublin tech community.
We have just began our seed round of fundraising, and are more than happy to talk to any parties interested in investment opportunities.
We also look forward to gaining valuable feedback, raising market awareness and to get more people on board – coders, makers, webfiends – all are welcome to jump into our ocean and join our open-source community.
Find out more about MyOctopus HERE
Register for the next DublinBeta HERE